Friday, August 7, 2015

I am still Around .. (Tanjung Jara Resort)


A rare Double Rainbow caught over the horizon as the sun sets.
It has been quite awhile now since I updated this blog and the main reason is that I have been having problems loading pictures to this blog via a VPN since blogspot is being blocked in China. What is a photography blog without pictures. 

Since I am currently back in Malaysia for a short holiday, I thought I give this blog a try to see if I could load a picture and viola, here I am.

Since my last update here, I have already traded in my trusty Nikon D90 and most of the lenses with my current Nikon D610 and have even got myself my dream lens, the Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8 VRII. From a passion, I am now working as a free lance photographer in Beijing, shooting for several hotels on a regular basis besides fulfilling one of my dreams and wish which was to use my skills for Charity.  In my 2.5 years now in Beijing, I have helped some Malaysia students in their charity work in Xian, an Malaysian cultural event held by the Malaysian students studying in Beijing as well helping to photograph the beautiful progress of a special dance project known as the Inspiring Dance Project, also initiated by a fellow Malaysian aimed at bringing dancing as a mean of expression, motivation and inspiration to children (especially to the less fortunate) around Beijing.

So, as you can see, I am still very much alive and kicking and love to continue to update this blog as much as I possibly can.

Back to what I do best, photography. My family and I revisited Tanjung Jara Resort in Dungun, Terengganu recently while we are back in Malaysia for a 6 nights getaway. It was awesome as usual with good service, cosy and comfortable room and plenty of space for the children to run around. The last time I was here, I barely got my D90 with only one kit lens which was the Nikkor 18-105mm. I did managed to capture some pretty amazing shots then but I was determined to see if my skills have improved over the years and if I could capture a different side of this resort or the sunrise.

Of the six nights that we were there, I was a little too lazy to get up for the early morning sunrise, of the three mornings that I did, one particular morning was simply spectacular. I have done some survey of the beach when I arrive to pick up some interesting place to photograph the sunrise, hence, when I went down to the beach, I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

I have always been interested to photograph the golden hours of photography especially by the beaches and the waves but during my early years of photography, I hardly knew how. I had a little practice when I was in Hawaii and New Zealand and I was determined to try that out again here at Tanjung Jara. These are some of the shots ....

Using long exposure to capture the flowing and splashing waves around the rocks.

Sunrise over the horizon at Tanjung Jara Resort, Dungun, Terengganu.

Over the years, I have also noticed that by having someone in a picture lends a more interesting story to the picture. I have an old picture of Tanjung Jara when I first came here 5 years ago of a lone fisherman walking along the beach. This time around, I have a lone fisherman walking and fishing on some rocks out in the sea which I find interesting.



However, the best moment of the entire trip was something totally unexpected and that probably is why photography is so mesmerising. As we were playing on the beach and walking back to our rooms on the very last evening before we are due to leave, my daughter noticed a rainbow over the horizon at sunset. Everyone was so excited. Luckily I had my camera with me and my lens had the CPL filter on. I captured several shots before the rainbow quickly disappeared. To my surprise, what we have witness, when I was processing the pictures, was not one single rainbow but a double rainbow captured over the horizon during the golden hours. I was a happy man and this will probably be my only opportunity to capture this rare moment for many years to come. 

Till then, I will try to update this blog as I possibly can. Rest be assured, even if this blog is not updated as often as I would like to be, I am still around and clicking away.....Cheers.

1 comment: