Monday, April 25, 2011

Transit At Amsterdam - Romantic Canals

July 2010

Amsterdam conjures up images of windmills, cheese, tulips, the famous red light district and the canals of course.

I was in Amsterdam a decade ago with my bosses after our trip to Cebit at Hanover, Germany. I cannot honestly recollect much of the trip except a hurried day trip to have a look at a windmill, a visit to the cheese and clog factory and a hurried trip around the red light district before the tour guide took us bar hoping to savour the different types of home brew beer. (well, travelling with bosses is and will never be an actual holiday, will it?)

So, when our tour agency told us when we arranged for our trip to Washington on KLM that we could transit at Amsterdam, we jumped at the opportunity. We actually had almost 10 hours since we arrived at Amsterdam at around 6:30 a.m. The best part was the immigration actually allowed you to get out from the airport without much of a hassle. Once out of the airport, we simply took a 30 minutes train ride from the airport to downtown Amsterdam. It was heavenly.

We booked ourselves on a one hour canal cruise. As we laid back allowing the sun to warm up our faces, the cruise took us along the many canals of Amsterdam. Strange as it may sound, there is a sense of charm and romance as one cruised leisurely along these waterways.

God, I am in love. I am in love with my wife by my side and I’m certainly in love with Amsterdam ….

No comments:

Post a Comment