Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Arlington, Washington DC - The final resting place

July 2010

When I knew I will be visiting Washington DC, I reminded myself that I must visit Arlington. I am not sure why but probably the images from movies like `Saving Private Ryan' left a pretty deep impression in me. I want to visit the place where the war heroes and those who have fought so valiantly for their country is laid to rest for all eternity. I wanted to sense the atmosphere for myself.

Being a Chinese, the Chinese cemetery is the last place that I would want to visit because it is normally a rather scary place to be. However, Arlington seemed so peaceful and the neatly arranged white tombstones look so mesmerizing .....

I arrived at Arlington with much anticipation and a sense of excitement. When I finally walked into Arlington, I was immediately taken in by the deep sense of serenity and tranquility of the entire place. There is somehow a sense of awe as I walked past the rows and rows of neatly arranged white tombstones. It is everything I envisioned it to be and more ...

I sat down on one of the many lonely benches scattered all over this huge vast landscape. My mind and imagination brings me back to yesteryear where many have traveled and walked the very same path. I can vividly see families and love ones in black weeping silently as another soldier is laid to rest here amidst his comrades in arms ....

I came with a sense of curiosity, I left with a sense of awe and respect....


Rock of Ages, Cleft for me
Let me Hide myself in Thee ...

No comments:

Post a Comment