Monday, May 16, 2011

Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC - where dreams become reality

Of all the previous presidents of America, almost everyone would definitely remember the great Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President who fought the American Revolution, opposed black slavery and was so famously assassinated while watching a play.

Hence, the Lincoln Memorial has become another MUST SEE attraction when one visits Washington DC.

The White House, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial are all aligned in a straight line. Walking from the Washington Monument, one will come to the World War II Memorial, where the braves of World War II are remembered. While I was walking along the reflection pool towards the Lincoln Memorial, I could not help the sense of excitement of finally `meeting’ this great man.

As I walked up the steps leading to the Lincoln Memorial, I stood at the very same spot where in 1963, (5 months after my birth) the great Martin Luther King Jr gave his famous `I have a dream’ speech to over 250,000 people, one of the greatest political gathering in history. As I stood there, looking over the reflection pool and towards the Washington Monument, I can vividly imagine being right there with the great Dr Martin and hearing him proclaimed proudly, “ ….. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character….I HAVE A DREAM TODAY! ..”


As I walked into the monument, I am dwarfed by the huge statue of the great Abraham Lincoln, sitting there with such awe and seriousness, looking out to the Washington Monument, as if he is there to watch over the nation that he gave his life for. The two great speeches by Lincoln was grafted on either side…the famous Gettysburg address and the second inaugural address….

Again, as I stood before this great man, enveloped in his great presence, I can almost hear him proclaimed ….`Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation …….that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.’

I came excited to meet one of my idol and I left humbled and touched by remembering two great man in the history of mankind who gave their lives for something that they have a deep convictions on ....

What a better place to affirm their love for each other than in front of the great Abraham Lincoln ....

1 comment: